Finally decided that I do need a notebook now. The correct segment for me seems to be ultra-thin notebooks, rather than a netbook. And just in time, here comes the HP DV2. The general opinion on the inter-tubes suggests that it’s a good buy. It fulfills the following things that I am looking for:
- Light (it’s only 4 pounds … 1.8kg)
- Comfortable keyboard
- 12" screen
- Decently powerful, for a few things beyond email and surfing.
- Bluetooth as well as dot-11
- Large hard-disc
Few questions remain:
- Does it run Ubuntu? Also, can I "upgrade" the bundled Vista to XP, sitting in India?
- This product is AMD’s way to break into a whole new market segment between netbooks and notebooks. Will better things come along (I think it’s not worth waiting)
Unless I hear anything really bad about it soon, I think I’ll just go for it.